The kids and I usually make a gingerbread house from a kit around Christmas. The goal isn’t about the baking, it’s about the decorating and spending time together creating something.
This year my son mentioned seeing a train gingerbread kit that he would like to make. So I went to the store he thought he saw it in and there was none to be found. I then asked my husband to pick a gingerbread house kit up at the grocery store but he decided not to get one because in his words “we usually end up throwing most of it away anyway”. I do agree but as I mentioned it’s not about the gingerbread, it’s about the time spent together.
Now it’s 2 days before Christmas and after going to 4 stores in search of a gingerbread house or train, or anything gingerbread like we ended up with a cookie decorating kit.
The cookies are hard as rocks because I ate one, just to test it out. Let’s hope none of us have a dental emergency in the next week as a result.
- On the first day of Christmas my true loves made for me, an Ornament Wreath.
- On the second day of Christmas my true loves made with me, Hot Chocolate Mugs.
- On the third day of Christmas my true love made for me, Plum Wine.
- On the fourth day of Christmas my mom made for me, A Nativity Scene.
- On the fifth day of Christmas a random stranger made for me, Cotton Candy Chemo Cap.
- On the sixth day of Christmas my true loves made for me, Spontaneous Snowmen
- On the seventh day of Christmas my true love made for me, Tiny Knit Scarf Ornaments
- On the eighth day of Christmas my little loves made for me, Reindeer Balls.
- On the ninth day of Christmas my little loves made with me….
Dentist Approved Cookies.
If you want to make these too, good luck! Hopefully you find a kit in fewer than four stores.
Happy Valentines’s Day! I am a celebrator, I celebrate everything. Including Valentine’s Day which my husband lovingly calls a Hallmark holiday.
On a side note, have you seen the price of cards lately? Ridiculous. I pulled out the Valentine’s card that my husband bought me two years ago. I think if you use them over and over again that maybe you can get $5.00 worth. Only three more years to go.
Last year we celebrated Valentine’s day with my parents at the Kennedy Space Station for an out of this world Valentines’ extravaganza. This year the celebration is much more subdued, and will include a giant heart cookie. When I was a kid we would go to the mall and I always wanted one of those giant chocolate chip cookies. Now that I am a grown-up and can operate the oven (most of the time) I figured that I would bake one for the family as a Valentine’s day treat.
I used this recipe but I cut the quantities in half for a medium sized heart shaped cake pan.
I love Pinterest, I pin lots of projects and even make some. BUT it’s very misleading. That whole perfect pinterest thing is a bit much, even for a devout maker like me. Most of my projects look decent, but that is often after many tries, 20 years of crafting experience, and photography skills. I have been hooked on watching the Sweet Ambs Cookie baker on Facebook, and her videos make cookie decorating look so calming. Just a little wiggle here, and a jiggle there and the cookie masterpiece is complete.
It’s well past the seventh day of Christmas and it has been a busy few days. On the seventh day of Christmas I did some baking, about seven dozen treats in under four hours. In an ideal world I would have a day to bake and a clean kitchen to do it in, but in reality Christmas baking was crammed in after an exam and before my helpers had to go to bed. I do like to get the kids involved in the kitchen which often proves to be a challenge. This time I put them to work smashing candy canes.
We made three different treats:
- Peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses. The recipe was on the back of the peanut butter jar, simple. When the cookies were hot out the oven I put a kiss in the middle of each and popped them into the freezer so that the chocolate didn’t melt everywhere.
- Peppermint Brownies. In an effort to be fast and efficient (read lazy) I made brownies from a box mix complete with frosting. The kids smashed candy canes which I gingerly placed (read dumped) on top.
- Gingerbread people. These were made from scratch, the recipe is here. I sprinkled powdered sugar on some of them, decorated the six in the photo but in truth most of them are naked in my fridge. They may or may not get all spiffed up before we gobble them up.
On the second day of Christmas my true love made for me two types of reindeer treats, and a veggie tree.
Years ago when my oldest was about 1 he actually ate part of an essay. He was sitting in a highchair at the dining table while I was working on an assignment and I looked over and there he was chewing on my homework.
I enrolled in a cake decorating class in June and after the first session the instructor needed to post-pone the balance of the classes because he had to go for surgery. Then I had to go in for surgery and I restarted the course in September. With this class comes a lot of baking. Each week I need to bring cake, cupcakes or cookies to class to decorate depending on what we are learning.
I have zero self control so I can’t have all of these treats in the house week after week. The first week our babysitter accepted payment in cupcakes. The second week I brought a cake to two different events on the same evening. This week my homework is headed to my son’s grade 1 class. Amazingly there are no food allergies in a class of 23.
On the menu this week, sugar cooking with buttercream flowers. The children with eat my homework and hopefully enjoy it.
I was asked the other day what is my favourite sugar cookie recipe, and here it is. With a little person that has some issues with dairy I almost always have to make some substitutions in cookie recipes. In this case I switch the butter for margarine which works just as well. I roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper which really cuts down on the cleanup. If you have a favourite cookie recipe I would love to try it, please send me a link in the comments.
Happy Valentine’s Day.