Making my own bread was something that I did years ago before having kids, when I had a smidge more time and no one holding onto my legs while I was cooking. Back then I used a bread maker which simplified the process, but now I have discovered crock pot bread which is just as easy.
I don’t enjoy cooking, I do it out of necessity. I like fancy bread but fancy bread is expensive. I need to save money so that I can get my hair done every 6 weeks, so home made bread it is.
This is a no rise, knead in a stand mixer, cook in a crock pot kind of bread. Sounds pretty simple, because it is pretty simple.
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 cup warm – not hot water
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp white sugar or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- cheese to melt over finished loaf – optional
- parchment paper
- slow cooker/crock pot
- stand mixer – optional
- Mix yeast and warm (not hot) water in a bowl and wait for the yeast to bubble
- Mix dry ingredients
- Mix dry ingredients with yeast, water, olive oil, honey (I use the whisk attachment for my stand mixer but you can also mix by hand with a spoon)
- Knead for 5 minutes, by hand or with a stand mixer (hook attachment)
- Line the crock pot with parchment paper (so that the bread doesn’t stick)
- Form dough into a ball and place in the center of the crock pot
- Cover and cook on high for an hour and then check every 1/2 hour. At 2 hours I flip mine and cook for another hour so that both sides brown, but the timing will depend on your crock pot.
- Place loaf on a baking pan and brown/melt cheese for 3-5 minutes at 350 degrees
My water and yeast did not bubble and after all was mixed together I just had a liquid mix.
Any suggestions? Thanks