A couple of weekends ago I was supposed to have my crafty moms over to make Easter baskets but I had just received some rather shocking news. But I was pretty determined to make the Easter baskets anyway. So here they are just in time for Easter. These are my take on a masculine Easter basket for my little boys. I used yarn scraps for the filling because my littlest love tore apart all of the snowball pom poms that I made earlier in the week, and it seemed like a pretty good use of his mess.
Instructions and pattern for the baskets are below. Click here for the bunny pattern.
We also decorated the eggs this morning which is a tradition carried on my by husband from his childhood. We were down one egg because Logan stole it from the table and bit into it shell and all.
- Three/four sheets of felt 9″x 12″ – cut one sheet in half for the inside, cut one sheet in half for the outside, cut a circle for inside, cut a circle for bottom, cut
- One larger sheet of felt 23″ long or longer (paisley) – optional if you only want one seam on the outside
- 2″ wide Ribbon or felt at least 14″ long
- 3 plastic canvas sheets 10.5″ x 13.5″ – to give the basket structure
- two skeins embroidery floss
- basket filler (yarn scraps)
- Cut all of the materials as per below images – note 2 felt circles are required but not shown. Ribbon is cut and folded in half to cover mesh handle.
- Sew the two mesh sides together, then sew on the bottom with embroidery floss. Safety pins work well to hold the bottom and sides together while sewing.
3. Sew the handle cover sides together with either felt or ribbon using a blanket stitch. Attach the handle to the basket with a straight stitch.
4. Sew the 2 pieces of inner lining together, and then sew the bottom on.
5. Sew the outer lining together, and then sew the bottom on.
6. With the inner lining inside the basket and the outer lining outside the mesh basket, sew the inner felt lining to the outer felt with a blanket stitch (around the handle I used XXXXX’s). Fill the basket with yarn scraps, or easter basket grass.