When I ask Sasha what he wants to eat for dinner, the standard responses are worms & dirt, or bugs & worms. He is a five-year old boy, so no surprises there. Now if he was served worms, dirt or bugs I am sure that his response would change. Sasha graduated from pre-school this week, and I thought that these little sprout cupcakes complete with worms & dirt would be perfect for the occasion.
What you need to make these:
- Chocolate mini cupcakes
- Chocolate icing
- Chocolate cookie crumbs
- gummy worms
- mini clear plastic shot glasses
- bake & ice cupcakes with chocolate frosting
- dip the tops of the cupcakes in the cookie crumbs
- to get the little ones involved, give them a cold mini cupcake pan and the little glasses, have them put one in each circle
- Put a worm in each little cups – again a very kid friendly task
- fill the cups 3/4 full with cookie crumbs – Sasha did this task also using a spoon to scoop in the crumbs
- put in a mini cupcake (wrapper removed)
- top with a sprig of mint before serving (if you put the mint in the cupcakes and refrigerate the mint wilts)
The kids and some of the parent’s at pre-school loved them. The kids loved pulling the worm out of the dirt. I like them because they represent my little guy sprouting, plus they are fun.
Keep celebrating, baking and creating.
Find me at http://www.makingalife.me or sign-up for email updates below.